The mission of AVID is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
WHAT IS AVID?
AVID, Advancement via Individual Determination, is a school-wide college readiness support system that will work hand-in-hand with the core content courses to prepare students for challenging, rigorous work. In AVID, students engage in writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization, and reading strategies to help them master rigorous academic content. High expectations are paired with strategies for success (such as note taking, time management, organization and goal setting) and in-class tutorial sessions so that students excel in advanced courses and are prepared for the rigors of university work.
Students must apply to be in AVID. AVID Site Teams at each campus review student applications and interview students to determine students who meet the expectations and would benefit the most from the class. Participation in AVID is a high honor. Students who are interested in AVID should contact Mrs. Salazar, AVID Coordinator.
- are highly motivated
- have positive attitudes and behavior
- are willing to work hard
- have good attendance
- plan to attend college
STUDENT COMMITMENT FOR AVID
The AVID elective class requires hard work and perseverance, and is effective only if participation is voluntary. Students must sign a contract agreeing to:
- Enroll in AVID as an elective class (for the entire school year)
- Enroll in a rigorous course of study
- Come to school on-time daily
- Study at least two hours a day and complete all assignments
- Maintain an organized AVID binder that includes class notes, studying material, assignments, and completed work
- Participate in AVID tutorials and collaborative study groups
- Assist teachers and students in maintaining a positive learning environment
- Participate in AVID field trips and activities
- Take the Explore or PSAT exam (7th & 8th grade)
- Apply to AVID at Bell Gardens High School, and eventually apply several colleges/ universities in senior year
AVID Scholars of the Quarter
6th grade: Elyzha Grajeda-Vaca
7th grade: Sarahi Bailon
8th grade: Guadalupe Ruiz Esparza
6th grade: Liliana Gutierrez-Romero
7th grade: Alexander Andrade
8th grade: Eli Zambrano
6th grade: Rimen Zarastegui
7th grade: Bayley Benitez
8th grade: Kayleen Morales
AFTER-SCHOOL TUTORING SCHEDULE
Students are expected to attend tutoring after school (2:00 - 3:00 pm) if they have failing grades or by teacher recommendation. Teachers will provide students with the Zoom or Google Meets link to join tutoring.
Merilus = Monday
Robertson = Tuesday
Mendez = Thursday
Magana = Monday
Aranda = Tuesday
Arreola = Thursday
Showalter = Monday
Fajardo = Thursday